Coconut Rice Recipe with coconut milk
Coconut rice recipe with coconut milk is a very lovely dish that brings together the creamy flavor goodness of coconut milk and pure rice. It’s a favorite in many parts of the world for its unique flavor and ease of preparation, we can easily prepare coconut rice in a rice cooker. In this article, we’ll explore what makes coconut sticky rice so special and share a simple recipe for you to enjoy. Coconut rice recipe with coconut milk Is a very famous dish around the world, in regions like Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Caribbean islands, east Africa, the Pacific islands, Latin America, the Middle East and Western countries like it.
About Coconut milk
So before I am going to tell you the recipe let’s talk about the star item i.e. coconut milk. We have to take out the white inner portion of the coconut and then blend it with some water then you will get fresh and creamy coconut milk water. Generally from 1 pound of coconut, you will get at least 5-6 cups of fresh coconut milk. Coconut milk adds mind-blowing aromatic flavor to recipes.
If you ever visit South India you will notice that a large amount of coconut milk is used to make many recipes.
Aside from its delectable taste, coconut milk rice offers several health benefits:
- Rich in Nutrients: Coconut milk is a good source of essential nutrients such as vitamins C, E, and B, as well as minerals like iron, selenium, and magnesium.
- Dairy-Free Alternative: Coconut milk rice is a great dairy-free alternative for those with lactose intolerance or dietary restrictions.
- Aids Digestion: Coconut milk contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which can help improve digestion and provide a quick source of energy.
- Heart-Healthy: The fats in coconut milk are predominantly healthy saturated fats, which may have a positive impact on heart health when consumed in moderation.
- Antioxidant Properties: The antioxidants in coconut milk may help combat oxidative stress and inflammation.
How to make Coconut Rice Recipe
- 1 and a half cups of coconut milk
- 1 cup long-grain basmati rice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and bay leaf, and sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the drained rice to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes until the rice grains are well-coated with the aromatic mixture.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water, and season with salt. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to meld.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, remove the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and bay leaf.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves before serving.
You can customize it to suit your preferences or the occasion. Here are a few variations and additions to consider:
- Vegetable Coconut Milk Rice:
- Add your favorite vegetables such as peas, carrots, and bell peppers to the rice for an extra burst of color and nutrition.
- Protein-Packed Coconut Milk Rice:
- Mix in cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu for a hearty, one-pot meal.
- Spicy Coconut Milk Rice:
- Add some red chili flakes or minced green chilies for a spicy kick.
- Coconut Lime Rice:
- Stir in a bit of fresh lime juice and zest for a zesty twist.
- Sweet Coconut Milk Rice:
- Add sugar, vanilla, and a pinch of cinnamon for a delightful dessert.6
6. Coconut Ginger Rice:
- You can also add some ginger paste for mind blowing taste at the time of making.
Coconut milk rice is a culinary masterpiece that has captured the hearts and palates of people around the world. Its creamy texture, subtle coconut flavor, and adaptability make it a standout dish in both everyday cooking and special occasions. Whether you enjoy it as a simple side dish or a main course, coconut milk rice never fails to impress. So, why not embark on a culinary adventure and savor the magic of coconut milk rice in your next meal? Your taste buds will thank you for it!